8/16/2015

SALONA

Salona, a wonderful name for a city.
 
 
As mentioned in my last post I visited Split and the same day I also visited Solin.
Solin is a small town or village just next to Split.
What interested me the most in Solin was the archaeological site, the remains of the roman city Salona.
It is said that the roman emperor Diocletian was born there!
 
 
The area of ancient Salona is quite huge.
After a short walk you find yourself in front of the archaeological museum.
There or at the stands where you buy the entrance tickets you can receive information about the area.
I went for a long and because of the heat (40°C) exhausting walk to see the amphitheatre.
On the way there you can enjoy a comprehensive view over Split!
 

 
And then, when finally arrived at the amphitheatre I had a moment of speechlessness
because from that point the sea extends in front of you!
 

 
Not only does the amphitheatre enjoy a good position,
the way I see it the whole city was built at a perfect spot.
It is/was situated between the sea and a hill but far enough from both
which creates a wonderful view.
 
Also, I caught myself translating the Latin inscriptions -
now nobody can complain anymore that I didn't practice Latin this summer!
 

2 comments: